Amateur Radio ground your station to the main house ground outside your house

Amateur Radio ground your station to the main house ground outside your house.

I have always been told NOT to ground your
station to the main house ground outside
your house below you outdoor breaker box.
It could be dangerous.

PS. I am currently grounding my ground bar
in the shack to 4 ground rods tied together
outside my shack window, using #6 solid bare copper.


 Hi, you are correct you should not ground your station to the mains power ground. Ground current from a faulty appliance could be coupled into your radio. 

The earth you describe in the P.S. is perfect. "am currently grounding my ground bar in the shack to 4 ground rods tied together outside my shack window, using #6 solid bare copper."
It is much more than I have. I used a single earth rod near my tower with 10mm wire back to the shack. 

I recommend a wire out to an earth rod or rods as described by Hubert. Connect it to a brass (preferably) earth bar and wire leads to your ham gear in a star formation, not a daisy chain. i.e. everything gets its own wire back to the earth bar.   Actually, I do not practice what I preach because I only earthed my linear amplifier and rely on the coax braid to pass that through to my rig. I'm bad I know! But we don't get a lot of lightning here, and I disconnect the antennas if there is a storm.

 

You have a good start to your grounding system, but it’s incomplete and could create a fire hazard.

All your earth grounds should be bonded together via a perimeter wire.  This means you need to connect the earth ground at your service panel to the earth ground for your radios.  Otherwise, if there is a break in the wire connecting your electrical service panel, a voltage spike on your incoming power line, instead of being routed to earth ground at the service panel, can go through your house wiring, through your radios, and out to the earth ground provided by your four ground rods outside the shack window.  (I had such a break in my service panel earth ground and didn’t know it until I installed my perimeter ground and discovered the electrical  contractor had NEVER CONNECTED the copper wire from the service panel to its grounding rod.  There was not even a clamp there, just 2 inches of buried copper wire.  Of course, the open end of the wire and the rod were both buried, so who would ever think to check?)

Check out the ARRL book on Grounding and Bonding.  It’s very informative.

Ward Silver, author of the ARRL book, has a YouTube video at 
https://youtu.be/rTGFfvYjI0o

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment


YAESU FT-710 discussions:
https://groups.io/g/ft-710

YAESU FT-710 website (CaSe Sensitive) shortcut. 
bit.ly/FT710
bit.ly/ft-710

YAESU FT-710 discussions:
https://groups.io/g/ft-710

Yaesu website
www.bit.ly/yaesu2
www.bit.ly/yaesu4

https://www.yaesu.com/
https://groups.io/g/ft-710
.