Winlink on FT710

Wonder if someone would mind taking the time to walk me through setting my new FT710 up for Winlink Vara HF. I just cannot get it to transmit no matter what I try. (I did get it working on FT8 a couple weeks back.)
USB cable from computer to rear of the Rig.
I have the current Winlink and Vara HF installed on my computer (Windows 11 64 bit). I have downloaded and installed (and can see) the virtual Comm Ports (5 Enhanced, 6 Standard).
Vara Setup: Allow check for updates, Accept 500 Hz, CW ID, Kiss Interface


Soundcard:
Microphone (3-USB Audio Device )
Speakers (3-USB Audio Device)
(This changes if I move the USB cable that goes to my 710. If I put in the other USB slot on the front of my computer it will be (4-USB Audio Device) on both.

When I press Tune, nothing happens here.
I am seeing signals being registered on the Vara screen when the radio receives them.

Winlink Setup:
Radio Model FT991/A
USB checked
Radio Control Port : Serial Port to use Com 6, baud 38400, enable RTS
(I constantly get a popup: Unable to open radio serial port COM6. May be in use by another applications. A device attached to the system is not functioning.) ??
PTT Port: External

On my menu on the 710 I have baud set 38400 and RPTT SELECT set on RTS.




OK, I found the Cat-2 rate under the operational settings.  But, how do I set the rig to operate with the Cat-2 rate?  If I go under Presets, I have Preset 1 thru 5 I think.  1 is for FT-8, I named 2 Winlink.

Went to Operationsl Settings.  There is a menu of many items, with all the cat rates showing.  Cat-2 shows 4800, but I have no idea how to set the radio to Cat 2.  

I am basically lost and I still get the pop-up saying Com 6 is in use. 

Winlink settings:

FT991a, USB, Radio Control Com 5, Baud 38400, no RTS or DTR
PTT Port (Optional)
Com 6, Baud 4800, Enable RTS

Hit Update, Com 6 in use by another application
And here I sit, defeated by an inanimate object....




Well, still nothing.  Keep getting the popup even after rebooting the rig.  But, some progress!  I finally got things to work in VarAC!.  Moving right along!

When I unplugged the USB from the 710 to my computer and started Winlink, I then got a popup stating that Com 5 was now in use by another applications....





For the Standard COM port (your COM6) the CAT rate you need to set is the CAT-2 rate. Should default to 4800. (Manual, p. 90) Baud rate mismatch could give you the message that another device is using the port. 


No comments:

Post a Comment


YAESU FT-710 discussions:
https://groups.io/g/ft-710

YAESU FT-710 website (CaSe Sensitive) shortcut. 
bit.ly/FT710
bit.ly/ft-710

YAESU FT-710 discussions:
https://groups.io/g/ft-710

Yaesu website
www.bit.ly/yaesu2
www.bit.ly/yaesu4

https://www.yaesu.com/
https://groups.io/g/ft-710
.